Google has released an application for synchronizing the calendars of Google and Microsoft Outlook. It’s a very simple application in the Zen style. All that it knows is how to synchronize the main Outlook calendar and the main (the first in the list) Google calendar for your account. But in most cases this functionality will be enough. There is a peculiar feature in the application: it is necessary to register the same email address in the program of the synchronization as the Outlook account for synchronization to work. Synchronization works correctly both with a Gmail’s account and with an account from Google Apps.
Six Sigma is a methodology for improving the quality of production. It was developed by the company Motorola in the early eighties, and it is successfully applied in many software development companies. The purpose of Six Sigma is to make a product of constant quality with statistically measured estimation of defects, improvement of process for eliminating defects, and monitoring these improvements. Six Sigma is successfully applied for improving the organizations in various spheres.
While it has a successful reputation in big companies with thousands of employees, Six Sigma also may be applied in small design teams. This makes it being used by many small web development teams to improve their processes. The basis of the methodology Six Sigma is made by an estimation of deviations of actual metrics of process from a curve of normal allocation of deviations. If those or other metrics of process are in certain limits of deviations, the quality of process results also remains high. In statistics it is accepted to name a unit of measure of deviations as “sigma”.
On February, 21 the Association for Computing Machinery (acm.org) declared the name of the laureate of the Prize – one of the most prestige science award in the IT sphere. For the first time the laureate of this award was a woman – a 75 year-old Frances Allen. She has worked for IBM since 1975. Missis Allen took part in research-and-development activities in the field of parallel computing, that is used in most computing machinery.
In 1989 г. Allen was the first woman who got oneself into the list of the IBM Fellow – the most prestigious technical status in the corporation.
The example of Frances Allen isn’t the only example of a woman who achieved success in the IT sphere.
Many critics think that the first developer was a woman. Lovelace Augusta Ada King had become a programmer long before the first computers were invented. She was a mathematician and she was interested in the works of Charles Bebbidge who created the project “Analytical engine“ – theoretical footing of the first computer creation. Lovelace translated from French to English the famous work of Menabrea in 1842 and added her comments to it. Her comments to this work were very useful for the science development – there were a lot of methods of practical application of computers and argumentation about entertaining application of computers. Also Ada wrote her own method of Bernulli numbers’ calculation , that is known as the first famous computer program. Ada is the author of such terms in modern programming as subprogramme, circle, working cell and etc.
Here we will have a talk about the most expensive developments in the computer world. People spend a lot of money to invent smth special and spend a lot of money to become an owner of smth special and also the most expensive in its category.
The most expensive computer has been created in Japan. The Japanese government estimates the Earth Simulator’s cost in $400,000,000. Each processor node contains 8 vector processors running at 500MHz with 16GB of shared memory, and the total main memory in the machine is 10 terabytes. The operating system running on the supercomputer is NEC’s UNIX-based OS called “SUPER-UX” which is used on NEC’s SX Series of supercomputers. This expensive computer is used on a wide variety of international projects, most of which are related to atmospheric, climate, and oceanographic simulation.
There were many predictions concerning IT in the network before the advent of 2009. First of all specialists expected to be surprised by the head of Apple, Steve Jobs.
Based on analysts’ predictions in 2009, Apple will please us with the following products:
- A simplified version of iPhone. It’s interesting to see what will be the segmentation of products in this niche from Apple, it already has iPhone and iPod touch, and those both are competing with each other;
- Cheaper MacBook (it doesn’t have a Netbook yet);
- Predictors are expecting a Netbook from Apple. It should be similar to the iPhone with 8-inch screen and keyboard, valued at about $ 900. It‘s expected that the new device will provide access to the Internet, email, media functions, as well as support services and the iTunes App Store;
- The new iPod Shuffle, which will be more compact than the existing device;
- In autumn a new MID from Apple will be presented, which will have a screen size of 7 or 9 inches and will be suitable for viewing media content, web-surfing and using applications from AppStore;
- Perhaps a major upgrade of Apple TV, at least, making this device as a video recorder. Apple is still looking for an opportunity to move the Apple TV from the «hobby» status into something much larger;
- Further development of Mac mini. This product is already beginning to forget. But Apple could start new life into the mini, releasing an improved version that would work with the new Cinema Display, and would allow you to extend the functionality. This could be a very attractive option for people who want something more than the iMac, but less than the Mac Pro;
- Further development of Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). But Apple itself has recognized that this update will not contain any major new user features. Particular attention will be given to the changes in the internal architecture of the OS.
A webinar (online seminar) is a special type of Web conferencing. In most cases a webinar implies broadcast presentations to a large number of subscribers. Communications are usually one-sided – by the speaker and the interaction with the audience is limited. In some cases, a speaker can answer questions via phone or chat, which ensures full interaction between the audience and the moderator.
The advantage of webinars is saving time: the speaker and the participants do not need to spend time on getting to the venue. They can participate in webinars without leaving their working places. All materials are distributed to the participants in the electronic form. In addition, the organizers will provide participants with archival recording after the webinar is finished.
On the Internet you can find a lot of training webinars on various topics: marketing, SEO, programming.
It is evident the online interaction is useful not only for learning. Initially, this technology was used for meetings and negotiations, when parties have great distance between each other. Many of the world’s largest companies are already using webinars to work with students. They show prospective employees the latest technology in dealing with potential staff members and the staff of this company. In this case webinars are used more for recruiting than for training and development. In addition it’s a way for company’s advancement and communicating with clients. Webinars are more a marketing tool for companies rather than a tool for learning.
Every year, almost on the 1-st of January, the world’s famous scientists prepare new statistics: what are we expecting in a new year and what will we have in the end?
Last year was good enough for some companies, but at the end of the year the picture was spoiled. The world’s crisis reached our country, too. Many companies were on the verge of bankruptcy, and many of them had to be closed, to safe their finance.
So, what are big companies expecting in 2009?
In a few words:
1. Google will see search share decline significantly for the first time ever
2. However, in the second half of the year, Microsoft will buy its search monetization from the joined company.
3. Apple will see a significant reversal of recent fortunes.
Also, we shouldn’t forget about little companies. In general little companies will struggle for existence and firm competition.
Speaking about us, Oxagile will be ahead of our competitors!
They say that it better to see something once that to hear about it 100 times. Following this rule Oxagile IPTV team has created one more video describing how helpful we can be while answering your business demands!